Monday, August 01, 2005

Why I could never be a celebrity/It's rant time

Still in London but I had to post my first rant on here b/c this has happened WAY too often. Sorry if this is not the best grammar or paragraph structure but I'm way annoyed...

Ok so a few times since, say, college, I have randomly run into or talked to people from high school whom I haven't spoken to or seen in awhile and we have the whole, 'what are you up to now' conversation. That isn't what's bothering me, lol. What is bothering me is something that has happened at LEAST 4 times, possibly more, but at least 4x people have asked, 'I heard you were getting/got married?' WTF??? There's so many problems with this!

First off let me just set the record straight, NOO, I am NOT getting married in the near future. I'm only 24, heck I can't even rent a car in CA! Sheesh. Maybe where the rumor originated is that my ex-boyfriend had gotten me a ring as a present once while we were going out but it was Not an engagement ring. Can't a guy buy jewelry for his gf if he wants to? I certainly have no problem with it ;) . (And in case you were wondering, yes I kept the ring after we broke up. I don't wear it anymore but still, it was Mine, I'm keeping it ;) .) But the point is I never announced I was getting married! It was a promise ring like Lindsay Lohan wore from Wilmer. And we know how That worked out...

The main thing that is bothering me though is, where is this false info coming from? Did ppl either 1) just assume I was getting married b/c I moved out of the state? (you know there Are other reasons why ppl move out of state other than following their husbands around...but we won't *even* get into that right now...). Or 2) did someone just make up something and started spreading a rumor? Why didn't this person check with me? Or do they really not care if it was true and just wanted the attention? I guess that's what burns me.

This brings me to the title of the post. I could never be a celebrity, dealing with fake press and people making up stuff about you just b/c they can. (Not that anyone is asking me to be a celeb...lol...but just in theory). Just 'ppl not liking you' is ok but ppl messing with your image/reputation by saying unfair things, that is low. I guess all you can do, though a slower approach, is just tell the truth to counteract the lies. Which is what I'm doing now.

Ok, rant over. Again sorry for the randomness. Almost as crazy as a bride on her wedding day...oh wait don't start That rumor again...

--The not single, but NOT married, Kim ;)

26 Comments:

At 16:58, Blogger Super Dave said...

That's funny that you wrote that, because I've been meaning to ask you about that for awhile. I heard about that a long time ago and kept meaning to ask if it was true, but I kept forgetting. What I heard was that you received a promise ring from the guy that you were dating that went into the army. You had told me previously that he was about to be sent to Korea. Taking that info and then hearing the other thing later, I assumed it meant that he gave you a ring, showing his commitment to you since he was leaving the country, making it difficult to stay together, and that it would signify that ya'll would one day get married, but weren't engaged yet. It seemed kind of confusing, which is why I was going to ask about it. I guess my question to you is, if it's a promise ring, what is the difference between that and an engagement ring? Also, you wrote in your post that he is your ex-boyfriend, but then at the end you said that you're not single... so are you with him or not? or is it some other guy? Thanks.

 
At 17:00, Blogger Super Dave said...

One more thing, it's good that you posted this, because everyone heard that rumor.

 
At 20:34, Anonymous Carrie said...

um....it *might* have been me. i remember a lot of people asking about you and i just said something along the line of "he gave her a promise ring" so i guess in the future they are; however, he is in korea so alot of things can happen....blah blah. sorry if i caused you the drama....*insert wincing face here*

 
At 22:00, Blogger Neo said...

well.. at least in was comment inuducing.

 
At 02:01, Blogger Kim said...

At least I know...
So to set the record straight, yes to all the above, a promise ring is Not an engagement ring, it's just...uh, a promise ring. There was actually an article in Us Weekly (reliable source, I know) saying how the rings didn't mean anything (Lindsay and Wilmer, Kirsten and Jake, Paris and Nick Carter all had them and they haven't worked out) but whatever, I'm not gonna begrudge a guy who buys me a ring ;) .

Um sure I'll explain all my past/present relationships on here...err....So, At one time I thought I might *eventually* marry the ex but what can I say, plans change, I at one time I thought I could steal Brad away from Jen but Angelina beat me to it... ;). ha j/k. So the ex is still in Korea but is going to Germany (and then probably Iraq) for his next assignment (kind of a moot point now but just to follow up). Nothing 'happened' in Korea but sometimes people just grow apart, get older whatever, so there's no hard feelings. "He and I still love you equally and you'll get to see him on weekends..."

And so now there *is* actually a new guy who is awesome and no he has not given me a ring yet. But don't show him this post or he will be afraid to!! ;)

 
At 09:54, Blogger Super Dave said...

So what is the purpose of a promise ring then? If it's promising a future engangement, then isn't it basically an engagement ring? If it doesn't mean anything as US Weekly claims, then why call it a promise ring, why not just call it a ring?

 
At 12:33, Blogger Kim said...

I don't pretend to be an expert or anything, and I suppose it is semantics, but I think where the word came from is that couples wanted a name for something that wasn't a "friendship ring", but wasn't an "engagement ring." And it's somewhat of a next step after buying other jewelry for the person. I didn't wear it on my ring finger or claim that I was engaged, but I suppose you could do whatever you want. Basically I don't think there are any hard-and-fast rules. I guess the whole concept is kind of thinking "outside the box" ...err, "ring"...as promise rings are not totally 'traditional'. But I'm willing to break tradition when it comes to jewelry ;) .

All I know is, next time you give a ring to a girl, Don't say "Yeah I don't see the purpose of calling this a 'promise ring' so I'm just gonna call it a 'ring.'" Trust me that won't get the best reaction...lol ;) .

 
At 12:41, Blogger Kim said...

ONE more thing...if you're *that* curious...you can actually see the ring in my profile picture...If you click on it to enlarge it...it's on the middle finger of my left hand. But now it is replaced by a cool ring I got from the pearl market in Beijing this summer. But to change the picture I'll have to wait till the next sorority theme party which is when that pic was taken (and why I'm wearing the riduculous hat) ;). It's actually a "promise hat"...haha NOO

 
At 14:06, Blogger Super Dave said...

"All I know is, next time you give a ring to a girl, Don't say "Yeah I don't see the purpose of calling this a 'promise ring' so I'm just gonna call it a 'ring.'" Trust me that won't get the best reaction...lol ;)."

Haha, you know me all to well. I'd say that and then when she gets mad, I'm all like, "what'd I say?". Though, if you really knew me, you would know that I'd never buy a girl (unless she's my wife, or unless it's an engagement ring)jewelry, cause I'm way to cheap for that. ;-)

 
At 16:32, Anonymous Carrie said...

dave, maybe you should give her a promise high-five. just make sure you wash your hands afterwards.

 
At 19:38, Blogger Super Dave said...

Yes, but if the word "promise" is used, evidently the high five's meaning will be very vague and unclear, per US Weekly. But I do like the idea of an engagement high five. ;-)

 
At 14:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jewelery, David? You won't even buy your girlfriend a $1.99 burrito!!!

 
At 17:06, Blogger BigSexy said...

I wonder who could've posted the previous comment. I got $20 on the braless wonder!!

 
At 20:51, Anonymous Carrie Rolston said...

who the heck is the braless wonder??? i am SO out of this loop!

 
At 15:11, Blogger Morgan said...

hey all,
Kim, Yeah, i heard that rumor and probably spread it further, sometime told me you were engaged and then the next time someone asked, i said, "I think she's engaged"......but i didnt really know how to contact you so i guess i couldnt ask you myself...anyway. Glad to hear that things are going well.

So...you really think it was braless wonder chad?

 
At 19:43, Blogger BigSexy said...

My beautiful skim licker, how many other people would make a comment like that. Huh?

 
At 20:56, Blogger Super Dave said...

Big Sexy, it depends on how many people have received a note. ;-)

 
At 21:01, Blogger Super Dave said...

Hey MoMo, I didn't know you had a blog. Though it's not much of a blog if you only post once a year. :-)

 
At 21:56, Blogger Laura said...

There were tons of things flying around in this post!

 
At 06:27, Blogger Morgan said...

ok....well if you read the blog dave, you would know that im giving it another shot, you can check it out a few times a week and hopefully there will be a little something something for you. I'm going to ignore your note comment;).
But I can think of a few just for the record ;)

 
At 11:08, Blogger Morgan said...

BigSexy said...
My beautiful skim licker, how many other people would make a comment like that. Huh?

and my answer to that chad is ....I can think of some;)
21:43

 
At 15:50, Blogger Morgan said...

ok so now that I'm into the world of blogs....how do i become a team member?

can i only post my thoughts when someone else has a thought first?

 
At 08:29, Blogger Neo said...

morgan,
what's your email address? chad or i can invite you.

 
At 08:35, Blogger Morgan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 08:40, Blogger Neo said...

'checka da email'

 
At 08:43, Blogger Morgan said...

thanks josh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home